Electric vehicles are becoming more and more popular as inflation surges cause gas prices to increase. Some states have issued laws to ban all gas cars from driving on the road by 2035. We all have a clear picture on how electric vehicles are playing a big role in our society and its efficiency evolving year after year, So, what happens if your electric vehicle breaks down?
Many owners are finding that several articles suggest that electric cars can’t be towed. Is this true? The short answer to this, is yes and no. In most cases, you should not tow your electric car when it breaks down. Tesla does not have their own towing company, but they do offer roadside assistance for up to 50 miles. There might be a bit of complicated logistics you need to plan if you’re stranded more than 50 miles away from your home.
However, tesla roadside assistance services use local towing companies to service their customers. If roadside assistance isn’t available to you while your stranded, then calling a towing company for your electric vehicle like a tesla – will be your only option.
Get a Price and Schedule Your Tow in Seconds
You can tap on the arrow button to select
Towing Electric Vehicles
There are several unique considerations that need to be taken into account when towing an electric vehicle, such as a Tesla. Here are some common issues that may arise when towing an electric vehicle:
- Towing an electric vehicle requires specialized equipment: Traditional tow trucks may not have the necessary equipment to safely tow an electric vehicle. Look for a towing company that has experience with electric vehicles and has the proper equipment to transport your Tesla.
- Electric vehicles have weight restrictions: Electric vehicles, including Teslas, have weight restrictions for towing. Exceeding these weight limits could damage the vehicle and void the manufacturer’s warranty. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for towing weight limits.
- Electric vehicles have unique battery considerations: The battery in an electric vehicle needs to be properly disconnected and handled during the towing process to avoid damaging the vehicle. A towing company that has experience with electric vehicles will be familiar with these considerations and will handle the battery safely.
- Electric vehicles may require special permits: Depending on the location and the size of the electric vehicle being towed, special permits may be required. A towing company that has experience with electric vehicles will be familiar with the permit requirements in your area and will ensure that all necessary permits are obtained.
It’s important to choose a towing company that has experience with electric vehicles and is familiar with the unique considerations involved in towing an electric vehicle, such as a Tesla. This will help ensure that your vehicle is transported safely and without damage.
Why You Might Need A Tow For Your Tesla Towing Electric Vehicles
Let say you’re panicking after a terrible car accident with your tesla, or you find yourself in a situation where your car battery is running out of juice because you weren’t able to make it 3 miles to the nearest charging station, or simply forgot to charge the night before getting stranded 50 miles aways from your home; Don’t be afraid! Most Towing companies can tow almost any vehicle, although electric cars can be very complicated to tow. In the winter season many electric vehicle owners forget to factor the cold weather, mysteriously draining their batteries after a long night of charge. In any case, when calling a tow for your tesla or any electric car, the biggest issue is making sure the person who was sent to tow your vehicle has had experience with towing electric vehicles and is willing to carefully follow your instructions. Here’s a few pointers on how to tow a tesla, please be sure to check with the tesla manufacture guide to cross reference.
Calling a tow for your tesla
If you’re stranded on the road and need to call a tow for your tesla, use towgrace to find the nearest and best rated towing services and get a quote from different tow service companies near you. Be sure to check online to read the companies reviews and ratings to make sure you’ve chosen the best towing company for you. Once you’re satisfied with the customers feedback you have reviewed online, give the towing company a call and explain your situation. Ask them to send you their most experienced staff on call to assist you. When the tow truck operator arrives at your destination check to be sure that the person who was sent out to tow your vehicle is experienced.
- If you need to tow your Tesla or any electric vehicle for that matter, it’s important to find a towing company that has experience with electric vehicles and can properly handle the unique requirements of towing a Tesla. Here are some tips for finding a towing company that can handle your Tesla:
- Look for a company that has experience with electric vehicles: Some towing companies may not have the equipment or knowledge to safely tow an electric vehicle. Look for a company that has experience towing electric vehicles, specifically Teslas.
- Check with your Tesla dealership or service center: Your Tesla dealership or service center may have recommendations for towing companies that have experience with Teslas.
- Search online for Tesla-specific towing companies: There may be companies that specialize in towing electric vehicles, including Teslas. You can search online for these companies and read reviews from previous customers to find a reputable company. Ask for references: When you contact a towing company, ask for references from previous customers who have had their Tesla towed by the company. This will give you an idea of the level of service and care you can expect.
Flatbed Towing For Electric Vehicles
The most preferred method of towing an electric vehicle is using a flatbed tow truck, A wheel lift and dolly is only used when transporting the vehicle for a very short distance. It would be much safer loading onto a flatbed truck or comparable transport vehicle or if otherwise specified by Tesla.
Model S does not have a wheel lock, this means the steering wheel must be tied when transporting from the rear using dollies. To avoid the possibilities of damaging your vehicle, make sure that the person who is towing your vehicle only pulls the vehicle onto a flatbed truck using a properly installed tow eye. Using the chassis, frame, or suspension to pull the vehicle can result in damage.
Do not transport Model S using any method that is not specified by Tesla. Adhere to the instructions provided in the tesla manufacturer guide and observe all warnings and precautions provided.
Ways You Should Not Tow Your tesla
- Tesla Vehicles are equipped with high voltage components, these mechanisms within the vehicle can be very dangerous when towing a vehicle that is totaled. Always follow high voltage safety precautions, make sure to have professionals evaluate the vehicle to confirm the high voltage systems aren’t hazardous.
- Failure to do this may result in serious injury or death. It’s highly advised in the tesla towing manual to never transport or allow your vehicle to be transported with the tires in a spinning position, meaning all the wheels must be upright position. If this happens, your vehicle can overheat and damage your vehicle critically.
- In some rare cases overheating may cause the battery components to ignite and burst in flames. Make sure to Enable Transport Mode manually (see Activate Transport Mode) before winching Model S onto a flatbed truck. If Transport Mode is not available or the touchscreen is not accessible, self-loading dollies or tire skates must be used to load the vehicle into the approved transportation position.
- It is noted in the tesla manufacturers guide that Model S can never be used to jump start another vehicle, or it could result in damage.
Now that you have a better understanding of the precautions and warnings to take before towing your electric car; Always remember to remind the towing company you choose to hire, to review the tesla tow handbook and manufactures manual. Regardless if you’ve hired a company who might claim to be experienced with towing electric cars it’s always better to cross reference for best practices, safety measures, and to prevent any potential damage to your vehicle.
Using a flatbed tow service is the preferred method for towing autonomous cars, however you must communicate to the towing company beforehand, that your car is electric, and your vehicle must be towed using a special and specific towing method. The best way to ensure all the aforementioned steps and hire a towing service who will help you transport your electric car is to rely on towgrace. It gives you the option to choose your origin and destination and get a quote from different tow service companies operating in the region. All of the towing services have been evaluated by towgrace so you don’t have to worry about reliability and other issues.